Saturday 18 February 2017

Berlinale impressions


After 10 days of screenings, press conferences, photo shootings and discussions, the winners of the 2017 Berlinale will be announced tonight. So far I have only seen one of the films in competition: the Brazilian film Joaquim, which unfortunately failed to impress me. I will watch three more competition films on Berlinale Publikumstag, the Sunday devoted to the public. However, my prediction is that the Finnish film Toivon Tuolla Puolen (The Other Side of Hope, about a friendship between a Finn and a Syrian refugee) will be a strong contestant for the Golden Bear this year. I also have a feeling that the Chilean film Una Mujer Fantastica (A Fantastic Woman) will win some serious prizes. 
In the past two editions of the Berlinale I happened to pick both winners before they were announced (Taxi in 2015 and Fuocoammare in 2016) so let's see if I am right this year.
Of the films I have watched, the ones I enjoyed the most were T2 Trainspotting (though don't expect Trainspotting 2) and Call Me by Your Name by Luca Guadagnino. Viceroy's House (set in India at the end of British colonial rule and ending with the partition into India and Pakistan) and The Lost City of Z (about British explorer Percy Fawcett) were both watchable and entertaining, with good acting. 
I also attended a talk at the HAU theatre with Berlinale jury president Paul Verhoeven and jury member Maggie Gyllenhaal. The theme of the talk was Courage Against All Odds. I thoroughly enjoyed watching clips from Robocop, Basic Instinct, Elle and The Secretary and listening to Paul Verhoeven's amusing tales.
To anyone planning to attend the Berlinale, I highly recommend going to at least one talk or Q&A. Last year's Q&A with Tilda Swinton after the screening of The Seasons in Quincy: Four Portraits of John Berger was both entertaining and inspiring.
To quote my friend Francesca, who attended a premiere at the Berlinale for the first time this year: "You have to fight for everything here!" I couldn't agree more: from buying the tickets, to getting into the cinema, to finding a good seat, or posting the card for the Panorama audience award, you have to constantly battle your way through the Berlinale. But once you sit down, the lights go off, the Berlinale theme tune starts (and the coughing begins), you will most likely have a rewarding and magical experience. Just remember: be prepared and follow my tips. Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment